Calling all Citizen Scientists!
We need your help for the 2019 Long Island Volunteer River Herring Survey!
Alewife and Blueback Herring are species of river herring native to Long Island. Like salmon, they are diadromous, which means they split their life cycle between salt water and fresh water. Each spring they return from the ocean to "run" up Long Island's rivers and streams to spawn in fresh water. Unfortunately, dams and culverts have restricted their access to most of this important habitat.
Seatuck is working with partners across the region to improve access and restore local populations of these ecologically important fish. The Long Island Volunteer River Herring Survey - organized by Seatuck and our partners at the Long Island Sound Study, Peconic Estuary Program and South Shore Estuary Reserve - aims to find the waterways where "remnant" runs of river herring still exist and then to monitior the size and timing of those runs.
Participants in the survey are asked to commit to surveying a local waterway from mid-March through mid-May. The survey protocol involves visiting a neighborhood river or stream and spending 15 minutes looking for river herring or signs of their presence. The visits can occur daily, weekly or as often as possible. All data is good data - the more trained eyes we have on the water, the better! Observations and information from the survey visit is then submitted through a easy-to-use on-line application on your computer or mobile device and automatically becomes part of our study. The on-line app helps you to geo-locate your survey location and even submit photos.
2019 Volunteer Training Schedule (more dates to be added - check back soon):
- Tuesday, March 5 - 4:30-5:30 pm - Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum, 279 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor
- Wednesday, March 6 - 6:00-7:00 pm - Baits & Barrels, 1315 W. Main St., Riverhead
- Thursday, March 7 - 6:00-7:00 pm - Save the Sound Office, 545 Tompkins Avenue, Mamaroneck
- Monday, March 11 - 6:30 - 7:30 pm - Baldwin Public Library, 2385 Grand Avenue, Baldwin
- Thursday, March 14 - 5:00-6:00 pm - Montauk Library, 871 Montauk Highway, Montauk
- Thursday, April 4 - 7:00-9:00 pm - Moustache Brewing Co, 400 Hallett Avenue, Riverhead